Built in 2003, the Chapple Lighthouse recognizes a time before the railway when our settlers and supplies arrived by steamers that came from Rat Portage (Kenora), across Lake of the Woods and up the Rainy River. The Lighthouse was built according to blueprints provided by the Canadian Coast Guard. The bricks used to build the lighthouse are historic as well – they came from the Barwick Hotel and Dobie #4 Block School, built in 1912.
The project was highlighted in the February/March 2004 issue of Lighthouse Digest. According to researcher Michel Forand, “a number of navigational lights were established on the river. These were post and mast lights that can’t be classified as lighthouses.” According to Forand, the Chapple Lighthouse is the first true lighthouse on the Rainy River.
Spearheaded by the Chapple Heritage Committee, an official lighting ceremony was held in September 2003. The project was brought to life by donors sponsoring “bricks” in honour of friends and family, or in memory of a loved one. The Chapple Heritage Museum features a model showing all donors names on gold plaques.